The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
Inspired Villages: July 2015
'Inspired Villages', who are currently developing the luxury retirement village at Frog Lane, are delighted to announce the results of their community competition. They were particularly keen that the community of Tattenhall were involved in the naming of both the 'apartment types' and the 'apartment blocks' within the new development, the criteria being local distinctiveness and that they were closely linked to and sympathetic with Tattenhall. The story attracted almost 100 hits but they were particularly pleased with the final choices, firm in the knowledge that 'Tattenhallers' know their locality!
The lucky winners will each receive £25 to spend on the High Street ... the results are:
* Wignall — Edith Marguerite Wignall was resident at The Rookery, was Commandant of the 2 Auxiliary Hospitals located in Tattenhall in The Great War and was awarded the MBE in 1918.
* Brierley — Dr Thomas Booth Brierley and his father before him were doctors in Tattenhall, whilst Lieutentant Roger Christian Brierley served in the Cheshire Regiment during The Great War. Father and younger son died in January and July 1917 respectively.
* Brereton — Sir William Brereton of Handforth (1604-1661) was Parliamentary Commander-in-Chief for Cheshire in 1643 during the English Civil War. He had been elected MP for Cheshire in 1628.
* Byron — Lord John Byron (1599-1652) was appointed Commander of the Royalist forces in Lancashire and Cheshire in 1643. He was defeated at the Battle of Nantwich in 1644.
* Aston — Sir Thomas Aston (1600-1645) was Cheshire's first Royalist Commander during the English Civil War. He had been elected MP for Cheshire in the 'Short' Parliament of 1640.
The combinations below relate to wildflowers to be seen in Tattenhall and a selection of the trees that were planted in Jubilee Wood during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
* Primrose Vale
* Foxglove Mews
* Cherry Walk
* Lime Grove
* Oak House
* Hawthorn Lodge
* Birch Place
* Rowan Mews
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
From 22 March until 23 April, is the GREAT BRITISH SPRING CLEAN!Let's help improve the environment on our very own doorstep. We are calling on all our community organisations and local businesses to get involved in collecting and safely disposing of litter from our village and recycling as much of it as possible: So, to organise a clean-up, send us the details and we'll...
We have just received notice that lengths of roads on Chester Road, Tattenhall, will be closed on Friday, 22 March.This closure will be in force for a maximum of 5 days but it is anticipated that the work will last for approximately 1 day.The closure of lengths of Chester Road is to enable carriageway patching works to be undertaken by CWaC.For diversion route, please see our attached...
Alison's Cafe, Jupiter House, High Street
The Vault, St Alban's