The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
Inspired Villages: July 2015
'Inspired Villages', who are currently developing the luxury retirement village at Frog Lane, are delighted to announce the results of their community competition. They were particularly keen that the community of Tattenhall were involved in the naming of both the 'apartment types' and the 'apartment blocks' within the new development, the criteria being local distinctiveness and that they were closely linked to and sympathetic with Tattenhall. The story attracted almost 100 hits but they were particularly pleased with the final choices, firm in the knowledge that 'Tattenhallers' know their locality!
The lucky winners will each receive £25 to spend on the High Street ... the results are:
* Wignall — Edith Marguerite Wignall was resident at The Rookery, was Commandant of the 2 Auxiliary Hospitals located in Tattenhall in The Great War and was awarded the MBE in 1918.
* Brierley — Dr Thomas Booth Brierley and his father before him were doctors in Tattenhall, whilst Lieutentant Roger Christian Brierley served in the Cheshire Regiment during The Great War. Father and younger son died in January and July 1917 respectively.
* Brereton — Sir William Brereton of Handforth (1604-1661) was Parliamentary Commander-in-Chief for Cheshire in 1643 during the English Civil War. He had been elected MP for Cheshire in 1628.
* Byron — Lord John Byron (1599-1652) was appointed Commander of the Royalist forces in Lancashire and Cheshire in 1643. He was defeated at the Battle of Nantwich in 1644.
* Aston — Sir Thomas Aston (1600-1645) was Cheshire's first Royalist Commander during the English Civil War. He had been elected MP for Cheshire in the 'Short' Parliament of 1640.
The combinations below relate to wildflowers to be seen in Tattenhall and a selection of the trees that were planted in Jubilee Wood during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
* Primrose Vale
* Foxglove Mews
* Cherry Walk
* Lime Grove
* Oak House
* Hawthorn Lodge
* Birch Place
* Rowan Mews
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The Cheshire Police Alert team have recently sent out a number of fraud alerts. The four below may be of interest: Fake Amazon emails claiming you have bought a high value item and asking you to confirm bank details Property Finance Fraud, targeting buy to let and those with no mortgage Charitable fraud, where the charity does not exist Vehicle Leasing Fraud, where...
Come and join kirtan leader Rawia for a beautiful heart opening Kirtan.Whether you have tried it and felt the amazing benefits or are a complete beginner, we would love so much for you to come and see what the yoga of devotion is all about. You do not need to have a 'good' voice or anything else for that matter, just bring yourself and see what happens.Kirtan is a form of bhakti...
The Recreation Club
The Letters Inn