The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
RSPB: December 2017
The dates are in!
Join the RSPB for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018 which will take place between 27-29 January.
Registration is now open CLICK HERE.
The 2017 Results are also in and can be viewed by CLICKING HERE
It was a bumper year for Waxwings. There was literally an explosion in the number of Waxwings visiting gardens in 2017. A lack of berries in their native Scandinavia prompted an 'irruption' of these stunning birds, with hundreds of sightings across the UK, even as far west as Wales and Ireland.
Goldfinch, Blackbird and Robin sightings have all increased.
Regrettably, however, lots of sightings were down.
- Blue tits, great tits and coal tits were all down by at least 10 per cent on 2016 figures.
- Although coming in at No 2, Starling sightings have dropped 79% since the first Birdwatch over 30 years ago
- Greenfinch and Chaffinch numbers have also decreased by 59% and 57% respectively.
Top Tips over the winter....
- Regularly feed the birds — this has a positive impact
- Put up a nest box
- Ensure that you thoroughly wash and air-dry birdfeeders, birdtable tops and birdbaths thus preventing Trichomonosis, the name given to a disease caused by the protozoan parasite 'Trichomonas gallinae'.
- It is also a good idea to rotate the positions of feeders in your gardens to prevent the build-up of any contamination in any one area of ground below the feeders.
Image by kind permission of Keith Titchener
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Chester will celebrate the Chinese New Year of the Rat on Saturday, 25 January with a parade of traditional Chinese lion and dragon dancing, Tai Chi performance and celebratory cultural characters from Bridge Street, culminating with multicultural performances in the Storyhouse and celebration banquet at the Slowboat Restaurant.The God of Prosperity, The Emperor of Heaven and The Happy Buddha...
REMINDERIf you are looking for something to cure those January 'blues' then look no further than the latest production from the Tattenhall Amateur Dramatics Society, which for 3 nights only is re-formed asThe Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society.This group of talented actors will bring you a night of baffling intrigue and foul goings-on...
Tattenhall Cricket Club — Community EngagementTattenhall Cricket Club are looking to to secure an Overseas Player for the forthcoming 2020 season. TCC has a proud history of success in welcoming Overseas Players. In recent years, many members of the local community will remember the positive impact made by Damien Lewis, Stanton Govender, Dan Power and Brett Siebert.The Club is seeking ...
Leave Carpark behind Alison's Cafe
Murder Mystery play