The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
RSPB: December 2017
The dates are in!
Join the RSPB for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018 which will take place between 27-29 January.
Registration is now open CLICK HERE.
The 2017 Results are also in and can be viewed by CLICKING HERE
It was a bumper year for Waxwings. There was literally an explosion in the number of Waxwings visiting gardens in 2017. A lack of berries in their native Scandinavia prompted an 'irruption' of these stunning birds, with hundreds of sightings across the UK, even as far west as Wales and Ireland.
Goldfinch, Blackbird and Robin sightings have all increased.
Regrettably, however, lots of sightings were down.
- Blue tits, great tits and coal tits were all down by at least 10 per cent on 2016 figures.
- Although coming in at No 2, Starling sightings have dropped 79% since the first Birdwatch over 30 years ago
- Greenfinch and Chaffinch numbers have also decreased by 59% and 57% respectively.
Top Tips over the winter....
- Regularly feed the birds — this has a positive impact
- Put up a nest box
- Ensure that you thoroughly wash and air-dry birdfeeders, birdtable tops and birdbaths thus preventing Trichomonosis, the name given to a disease caused by the protozoan parasite 'Trichomonas gallinae'.
- It is also a good idea to rotate the positions of feeders in your gardens to prevent the build-up of any contamination in any one area of ground below the feeders.
Image by kind permission of Keith Titchener
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
It is with a heavy heart and with huge regret that Salon Vie Hairdressing announces the closure of the Tattenhall Salon.Implementing the 'Covid-19 protocols' during the current pandemic has simply proved too much of an overhead for the layout of the historic Olympus House building.This is due, in part, to the Salon being a shared building with communal areas.We will now only operate...
Tattenhall CC's 1st XI made the short journey to league leaders, Kingsley Cricket Club, for the final game of the season. Kingsley needed a victory to clinch the title, won the toss and asked Tattenhall to bat.Without Sadler, Cooke and Fearnall , the Tattenhall batting struggled against an accurate Kingsley attack and slumped to 60 for 6. Remaining firm throughout was skipper, Sandford, ...
High St Car Park, MALPAS
Sportsman's Car Park