The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
RSPB: December 2017
The dates are in!
Join the RSPB for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018 which will take place between 27-29 January.
Registration is now open CLICK HERE.
The 2017 Results are also in and can be viewed by CLICKING HERE
It was a bumper year for Waxwings. There was literally an explosion in the number of Waxwings visiting gardens in 2017. A lack of berries in their native Scandinavia prompted an 'irruption' of these stunning birds, with hundreds of sightings across the UK, even as far west as Wales and Ireland.
Goldfinch, Blackbird and Robin sightings have all increased.
Regrettably, however, lots of sightings were down.
- Blue tits, great tits and coal tits were all down by at least 10 per cent on 2016 figures.
- Although coming in at No 2, Starling sightings have dropped 79% since the first Birdwatch over 30 years ago
- Greenfinch and Chaffinch numbers have also decreased by 59% and 57% respectively.
Top Tips over the winter....
- Regularly feed the birds — this has a positive impact
- Put up a nest box
- Ensure that you thoroughly wash and air-dry birdfeeders, birdtable tops and birdbaths thus preventing Trichomonosis, the name given to a disease caused by the protozoan parasite 'Trichomonas gallinae'.
- It is also a good idea to rotate the positions of feeders in your gardens to prevent the build-up of any contamination in any one area of ground below the feeders.
Image by kind permission of Keith Titchener
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Live "Teddy the Shetland"Social Media aficionados are looking forward to a real treat at this year's Liverpool International Horse Show. Top equestrian blogger "This Esme" will be hosting an exclusive 'An Audience With'' session on December 28th at 11am and 31st at 4pm in the Arena Theatre. Look up "This Esme" on YouTube.Instagram darling...
MAKE SURE TATTENHALL IS SAFEWe like to think that a quiet, respectable village like Tattenhall is safe from predatory drug pushing criminals. However nearby Cheshire towns have been subjected to the horrific activities of pushers of heroin and crack cocaine. The effects of these addictive, life -threatening substances are devastating and the pushers are attempting to recruit young people and...
Tattenhall commemorated the Remembrance SundayThere was an excellent attendance for both the Remembrance Sunday service in St. Alban's Church and at the War Memorial ceremony of laying wreaths and marking the national 2 minute silence at 11am. There was standing room only in the Church, where we remembered those from our community who lost their lives in the two World Wars.All the...