The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
Webteam: April 2019
Earth Day has been celebrated since 1970, started in the US, it is now a worldwide network.
It seems more relevant than ever- Extinction Rebellion has been blocking streets in London, demanding that the Government reduce carbon emissions, pollution and address the fact that so many species are disappearing from the Earth.
David Attenborough 's programmes on TV have highlighted the devastation of our Earth from pollution and global warming.
So what can we all do to celebrate Earth Day and to think about what we do to this planet, and how we can make steps to make it better for future generations.
There are some very easy things:
- Turn off appliances at the wall, this saves an amazing amount of energy.
- Smart meters help save energy but also consumers save money when they have them!
- Don't throw away plastic in waterways, rivers, canals, beaches , take your rubbish home and pop in your own bin.
- Pick up plastic when you see it, and dispose of it properly.
- Use reusable bags for shopping, like the ones in the Spar! But preferably not plastic in the first place.
- Consider buying clothes made of natural fibres, like cotton, and wool .
- On April 22 Earth Day, consider having a car free day, go for a walk and enjoy the fresh air .
- Think about having a TV free day, and talk to each other, or play games!
The Earth is a wonderful planet, it is time to celebrate it , but also to preserve it for the future.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Charity beer tasting and social event 16th June. 6.45pm -- 9pm We are raising money for BLESMA through beer & beef!! Our intrepid colleagues Martin & Fiona Hilton are running the length of the D Day beaches to raise funds.As an incentive we are hosting a tutored beer & food tasting followed by a beef brisket supper with additional beers available to buy.Martin will take...
Cheshire Art Hub, Burwardsley