The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
Jill Hughes: June 2016
Well, it might be Referendum Day but 23 June is the 4th Thursday of the month and time for our next U3A Walk. Remember, you don't have to be a U3A member to join us for a couple of trial walks but after that, we do ask you to join the group.
This walk starts at Abakhan's; for anyone who is not familiar with the area, we get to Abakhan's via the A55, taking the A5026 through Holywell down to the A548 where you turn left onto the coast road and Abakhan's is on the right.
We suggest you bring a picnic, and we can stop off at Abakhan's cafe for refreshments after the walk.
If we meet at Alison's at 9.15am or Abakhan at 10.00am, I think we should be
finished by 2pm including a coffee/snack stop. Please let me know if you can come, and where you will meet; this is particularly important if you plan to meet at Abakhan's so that I can let you know of any change in plans — jillhug@ hotmail.co.uk or 01829 770634
- The walk is about 6 miles through a mixture of meadows (see photo), woodland, the Coastal Path and the occasional metalled pathway.
- Starting from the car park at Abakhan at LLanerch-Y-Mor on the A548, we will walk uphill through Downing to Whitford, returning through Mostyn, then following the Coastal Path passing close to
The Duke of Lancaster.
- Possibility of two short detours to visit:
1. A Trout Farm where we could have tea or coffee, feed the trout for 50p and buy fresh rainbow trout.
2. A waterfall marked on the OS map.
- Walking boots required as there is a section where the path follows a stream bed, poles might be an advantage on a couple of steep paths.
- No cows seen!
- One field with sheep, and no stiles!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
New Deal for Bishop Heber StudentsPaul Kerr has successfully contacted the MD of Helms Aintree Buses to ask whether he would consider a more affordable weekly ticket for Bishop Heber students which would also be simpler to pay. His response is below:"Further to our conversation of the other day. I confirm that after half term a weekly ticket will be available for pupils travelling...
The talk will be open to U3A members. For membership information please contact Hilary Scarratt 01829770516 or Email Hilary at Hilary@Scarratt.co...
Each year in May Cheshire West and Chester Council in partnership with the University of Chester run an archaeological training excavation for second year archaeology students. COVID-19 prevented the summer plans but following the introduction of new safety measures the excavations will once again return to Grosvenor Park for two weeks between 21 September and 2 October. Visitors are...
High St Car Park, MALPAS
Sportsman's Car Park
Outside Barbour Institute