The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
Webteam: December 2015
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service wants to avoid firefighters arriving at peoples' homes uninvited over the festive period.
Christmas is a time for celebration and decoration but all increase the danger of fire in the home. Nick Evans, Head of Prevention, explained: "It's so easy to forget amidst all the festivities that tree lights and decorations present fire risks. We're asking people to take five minutes to have a look at our safety tips to help ensure that this holiday season is one to remember for all the right reasons."
The Service has, therefore, created twelve helpful messages to keep families and loved ones safe.
The 12 messages are:
1. Check Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard
2. Never place candles near Christmas trees or furnishings
3. Make a fire escape plan and make sure family and visitors know what to do in an emergency
4. Don't attach decorations to lights or heaters, they can burn easily
5. Never overload electrical sockets and always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before going to bed or going out
6. Take care when cooking after drinking alcohol as the risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after alcohol is consumed.
7. Never leave cooking unattended — most fires start in the kitchen
8. Take care with fireworks; store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby
9. Make sure cigarettes are completely out before going to bed
10. Check smoke alarm batteries weekly and use Christmas as a reminder to clean alarms and remove dust
11. Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children and never leave burning candles unattended
12. Take time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours to make sure they are fire safe
Nick continued, saying: "Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to wish everyone a happy and safe Christmas and New Year and we urge everyone to follow our 12 messages. There's only one red vehicle we want landing at people's houses this Christmas, and that's Santa's sleigh, not a fire engine with a fire crew in it!"
For more Christmas Safety information please visit our website- http://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/campaigns/events/christmas-safety
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Health and Wellbeing Week Online: Monday 25 January — Sunday 31 January 2021This year Health and Wellbeing Week is going online but we're still offering a range of free activities through our Facebook page to help improve your mental and physical wellbeing. We are teaming up with various partners to provide something for everyone including Cheshire Dance, Cheshire Archives, Cheshire...
We are ready to take your order every day from 4 to 9pm ( closed on Sunday )☎️ 01829 770033See our menu on Facebook.Facebook: Atno.3Instagram:...
Sportsmans Arms Car Park
Sportsmans Arms Car Park