The beautiful village of Tattenhall in Cheshire
Tattenhall Gardening Society: August 2019
The weather has been awful, very wet, followed by very hot; what will have survived in the garden for the Show?
We will all be suffering the same problems , so your chance of winning could be higher!
So — Tips for showing:
- Pick flowers and especially roses a few days ahead in bud and bring them into a cool place in the house. Roses will then open a little and not be damaged by the weather.
- Pick dahlias before the petals have curved backwards and then they will last.
- The requirements for the vegetable class are that there should be identical items, same length, same colour, as much as possible. Pick beans a few days ahead and wrap in damp newspaper, this may also help flatten curling runner beans.
- The judges look for perfection, but if you can't do that there is always the amusing veg category!
- And read the schedule which clearly states the what is needed. If it doesn't meet the requirements of the schedule your entry may well not be judged!
Or if Gardening has defeated you this year, with wind rain and floods-
- Take a photo,
- paint a picture,
- do something crafty,
- cook something delicious, still time to make jam, but use a new lid, label and date.
- take part!
Its fun, and you can meet lots of interesting people!
Click on the image to enlarge it.
Schedules are available in The Barbour Institute and the Post Office, or you can CLICK HERE to view, download and print your own copy.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
A huge 'THANK YOU' to everyone who has contributed to the GoFundMe Campaign regarding the flood event which took place in February and which badly affected some residents in Old Mill Place, adjacent to the Barbour Institute.The Target of £2000 has been reached and exceeded.'Thank You' too to Lesley Morton who kindly agreed to a donations box being located in Pluto...
Residents of Cheshire West and Chester will be able to find out about the recent flooding events in the borough through a special online webinar event.Representatives from agencies who responded to the floods, including the Council, The Environment Agency and United Utilities, will take part in the live event on Tuesday, 2 March at 6.30pm.The meeting will provide an overview of the...
During this very week in both 2019 and 2020, frog spawn was spotted here in Tattenhall and on the Sandstone Ridge.That said, TWiG (Tattenhall Wildlife Group) has just reported the first sighting locally — just 3 days later than last year.Perhaps the 'Beast from the East 2' delayed this reassuring sign of spring.If you haven't yet seen it, you will probably hear the frogs — they...
Sportsmans Arms Car Park
Sportsmans Arms Car Park