If you are thinking of baking some mince pies this weekend why not give these a try? Nadiya Hussain, 'The Great British Bake-Off Winner 2015', has released this fantastic recipe – a twist on traditional mince pies with an orange frangipane topping.
makes 12 mini mincemeat and orange bakewell tarts;
for the pastry
175g plain flour
95g chilled butter, diced
1 tsp icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cold water
for the filling
50g room temp butter
50g caster sugar
50g ground almonds
zest of 1 orange
icing suger to serve
orange zest to serve
1. Pastry – rub flour butter and icing sugar into breadcrumbs. Add egg and water and bind. Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge.
2. Pre-heat oven to 190 degreees / gas 5.
3. Topping – beat sugar and sugar 'til pale. Add eegs, almonds and orange zest, mix well.
4. Roll out pastry to £1 coin thickness. Cut out discs using 7.5cm cutter. Place onto greased bun tin, add 1 tsp mincemeat and top with almond mix.
5. Bake for 20 minutes until light golden brown. Cool completely. Dust with icing sugar, orange zest and serve with double cream, clotted cream, ice cream, you choose!